Governor Quinn Receives Final Cemetery Oversight Task Force Report
Governor Pat Quinn accepted the final report of the Cemetery Oversight Task Force, which provided recommendations to ensure rigorous oversight and regulation of Illinois? for-profit cemeteries. Governor Quinn signed an Executive Order earlier this summer forming the task force in the aftermath of the tragedy uncovered at Burr Oak Cemetery in Alsip.
?I want thank the Cemetery Oversight Task Force members for their dedication and hard work. Amid a time of crisis and confusion they came to the aid of our community,? said Governor Pat Quinn. ?I look forward to evaluating their recommendations to protect bereaved Illinois families from corrupt cemeteries, funeral directors and embalmers.?
Chaired by Patricia Brown Holmes, a partner with law firm Schiff Hardin LLP, the task force was charged with bolstering industry regulations and proposing needed consumer protections.
Among the Cemetery Oversight Task Force recommendations:
* Consolidate regulatory authority of funeral and burial practices into the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
* Enact the Cemetery Oversight Act, which will ensure that only qualified persons can own, operate or work in a cemetery in Illinois.
* Amend and consolidate existing statutes to strengthen industry regulation and enforcement.
The Task Force heard testimony from families with loved ones buried at Burr Oak, other cemetery and law enforcement experts, industry professionals, and government officials. Each provided insight into the type of laws, regulations and oversight needed to protect the dignity of loved ones after death.
The Cemetery Oversight Task Force and the ex officio members of the General Assembly who participated in the hearings are a diverse group of individuals with expertise and experience in both the private and public sectors.
To read the full report, please visit Illinois.gov/gov.
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- Homesteaders Policy Owners Elect Three New Members to Board of Directors - February 20, 2018
- Vandor Corporation Introduces One Source Prime to Reduce Funeral Product Prices - February 20, 2018
- Cremation Innovations Summit to be Held in Las Vegas - February 18, 2018
You may be interested
This Is The Game Every Funeral Director Wants, But It’s Not RealRyan Thogmartin - February 21, 2018
Cadaver Chris needs your help! His viewing is tomorrow! It's Embalmer, the funtacular funeral game where you're the embalmer! From the gurney to the grave, it's Embalmer! Embalming fluid not included.
Funeral Director Takes Kermit the Therapy Dog to Meet Florida Shooting SurvivorsJustin Crowe - February 20, 2018
Last week, the survivors, first responders, and volunteers of the tragic Florida school shooting got a surprise visit from a…
Homesteaders Policy Owners Elect Three New Members to Board of DirectorsCDFuneralNews - February 20, 2018
West Des Moines, Iowa — Homesteaders Life Company Chairman Stephen R. Lang announced today the election of three new members…