Don’t Confuse Me With Your Facts
Apologists must be aware of 4 generally accepted fallacies:
Consumers think in a well-reasoned rational way
- In fact, emotions are closely interwoven with the reasoning process. Most often they are dominant.
Consumers can readily explain their behavior and thinking
- 95% of our thinking is unconscious. Our rational mind serves mainly to make sense of behavior AFTER it is executed
Consumer’s memories accurately represent their experiences
- In fact, consumers memories represent what they think about their experiences not the experiences themselves
Consumers think in words
- We think in terms of images. If I say the word “dog” you do not call to mind a biological description of a dog. Instead, you bring to mind a picture of a dog. And your dog is likely to be different from my dog
We Make Choices With Our Emotions…
We Explain Those Choices With Our Intellect
So we THINK consumers make choices and decisions with their rational faculties when, instead, they make them with their hearts. We think (and, frankly, they think) they draw an imaginary “pro” and “con” chart and make the best decision based on The Facts. When, in fact, they are rationalizing a choice already made in the subconscious.
Our emotions, by definition, are unconscious. So, our challenge, as an Apologist, is to speak to those emotions. So, never argue the facts, the evidence or try to be rational. The doorway to this soul is stories. And, if you have been in practice for long, you have lots of stories.
I believe in giving back and so was recently honored to serve as Chairman of the Funeral Service Foundation.
Latest posts by Alan Creedy (see all)
- Are You Really A Team…Or Just A Workgroup - June 24, 2014
- Pennsylvania Deprives Consumers of 21st Century Services - February 25, 2014
- 10 Barriers To Succession Planning In the Funeral Business — Part 1 of 3 - February 12, 2014
You may be interested
WHY DO WE GIVE ALL OUR CONTENT AWAY FOR FREE? | DISRUPT60 007CDFuneralNews - July 18, 2018
This question gets asked on the daily, "Why do you give so much away for free?". It's a pretty simple…
ASD’s Spanish Translation Services and Web Form Watch Dog™ Features Selected As Finalists for 2018 NFDA Members’ Choice AwardCDFuneralNews - July 18, 2018
Media, PA—ASD–Answering Service for Directors is pleased to announce two of the company’s features have been recognized as finalists for…
WISCONSON VERDICT HAS HHUUGGEE IMPLICATIONS ON THE FUNERAL PROFESSION | FUNERAL nation 117CDFuneralNews - July 16, 2018
The divide continues in the land of cheese. Wisconsin Supreme Court delivered the final verdict saying Funeral Homes and cemeteries…