Don’t Confuse Me With Your Facts
Apologists must be aware of 4 generally accepted fallacies:
Consumers think in a well-reasoned rational wayAdvertisement
- In fact, emotions are closely interwoven with the reasoning process. Most often they are dominant.
Consumers can readily explain their behavior and thinking
- 95% of our thinking is unconscious. Our rational mind serves mainly to make sense of behavior AFTER it is executed
Consumer’s memories accurately represent their experiences
- In fact, consumers memories represent what they think about their experiences not the experiences themselves
Consumers think in words
- We think in terms of images. If I say the word “dog” you do not call to mind a biological description of a dog. Instead, you bring to mind a picture of a dog. And your dog is likely to be different from my dog
We Make Choices With Our Emotions…
We Explain Those Choices With Our Intellect
So we THINK consumers make choices and decisions with their rational faculties when, instead, they make them with their hearts. We think (and, frankly, they think) they draw an imaginary “pro” and “con” chart and make the best decision based on The Facts. When, in fact, they are rationalizing a choice already made in the subconscious.
Our emotions, by definition, are unconscious. So, our challenge, as an Apologist, is to speak to those emotions. So, never argue the facts, the evidence or try to be rational. The doorway to this soul is stories. And, if you have been in practice for long, you have lots of stories.
I believe in giving back and so was recently honored to serve as Chairman of the Funeral Service Foundation.
Latest posts by Alan Creedy (see all)
- Are You Really A Team…Or Just A Workgroup - June 24, 2014
- Pennsylvania Deprives Consumers of 21st Century Services - February 25, 2014
- 10 Barriers To Succession Planning In the Funeral Business — Part 1 of 3 - February 12, 2014
You may be interested
Take That Step | FUNERAL hustle 013DISRUPT Media - October 5, 2017
We hit Atlantic City for the 2017 New Jersey State Funeral Directors Association Annual Convention. We unveiled a brand new…
Transgender Woman Sues Metro Detroit Funeral Homes After Losing Her JobCDFuneralNews - October 5, 2017
Originally Published on WXYZ Detroit Should someone be fired because they are transgender? A transgender woman has sued the owner of…
How to Leverage the One Statistic Everyone is Ignoring and It’s a Game ChangerRyan Thogmartin - October 4, 2017
As a profession, we are completely undervaluing the need to get attention and immediately provide value back to that consumer. It…