Georgia Funeral Director Wins the “Funeral Director of the Year”
American Funeral Director Recognizes Gregory B. Levett Sr. with Prestigious Award
WALL, N.J. – American Funeral Director magazine recently announced that Gregory B. Levett Sr. has won its 2015 Funeral Director of the Year award.
Levett, founder and CEO of Gregory B. Levett & Sons Funeral Homes Inc. in Decatur, Georgia, was selected because of his efforts on behalf of others, as well as his success at turning his business into one of the largest independent funeral homes in his region. He’s profiled in the December issue of the magazine and was on hand to receive his award at the Tenth Annual Funeral Service Business Plan Conference, which was held in Glendale, Arizona.
“I am very humbled to be recognized for the work I have done throughout my life,” said Levett, who earned his funeral director’s license in 1973 and opened his first funeral home in 1980 in Scottsdale, Georgia. “I am hoping with this I will inspire some young person to this career or whatever career they would choose.”
“None of this would be possible without the great staff we have,” said Levett, who operates four funeral homes and a crematory and has seen three of his children follow him into funeral service.
Levett was selected from among a record-number of nominations for this year’s award, said Allison Sullivan, publisher of Kates-Boylston Publications, the company that publishes American Funeral Director, a nationwide magazine that has been helping funeral professionals succeed and serve since 1877.
“While we had many impressive entries, Mr. Levett stood out as a man who is having a positive impact on his community and his profession,” Sullivan said. “His generosity, caring and commitment embody what the funeral profession is all about. We were honored to present him with this award.”
Judging criteria for the award included: business successes; challenges overcome; client relations and community involvement.
In addition to Levett winning the 2015 award, American Funeral Director announced five runners-up:
• John Anders, a funeral director at Anderson-McQueen Funeral Homes in St. Petersburg, Florida, who is working to find new ways to help residents of the diverse community his funeral homes serve and has maintained a commitment to customer service throughout his 40-year career.
• Annette March-Grier, vice president of March Funeral Homes in Baltimore, and founder of Roberta’s House, a nonprofit organization that helps children and families in her city cope with the devastating aftermath of death.
• Frank Lewis, owner of Jackson, Lytle and Lewis Life Celebration Center in Springfield, Ohio, who combines a funeral director’s commitment to providing grieving families the support and personal experience they need with a businessman’s drive for continuous improvement and innovation.
• Larry Payne, co-owner and chairman of the board of Aderhold Funeral Home in West, Texas, who took charge of the funerals for most of the 15 people killed in the April 2013 fertilizer plant explosion in his small town.
• Eric and Reid Trimble, funeral directors at Trimble Pointe Companies in Moline, Illinois, who – when faced with the prospect of moving their funeral home – expanded their business to become both a funeral home and events center.
A series of articles about the runners-up was published in the November issue of American Funeral Director. The winner was announced with a cover story in the December issue.
To subscribe to American Funeral Director, visit www.katesboylston.com
American Funeral Director is published by Kates-Boylston Publications, which is also the publisher of American Cemetery magazine and Funeral Service Insider. The company has been helping funeral professionals succeed and serve since 1877. Learn more at www.katesboylston.com.
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- 49 Wilbert Licensees Earn Ultimate Service Provider for 2017 - February 7, 2018
- Learn and Connect at 2018 NFDA Professional Women’s Conference - February 7, 2018
- Aftercare.com chosen as a Preferred Partner of Selected Independent Funeral Homes - February 7, 2018
You may be interested
Do You Have a Facebook Post for Valentine’s Day? Use This FREE Video DownloadJustin Crowe - February 9, 2018
Holidays are a great time to reach out to your local community on Facebook. They are a shared experience driven…
“Going Out In Style” will Plan Your Funeral in the Most Extravagant WayJustin Crowe - February 7, 2018
I've never desired to plan my funeral until seeing the events that are being designed by the women at Going Out…
49 Wilbert Licensees Earn Ultimate Service Provider for 2017CDFuneralNews - February 7, 2018
BROADVIEW, IL, February 6, 2018 – Forty-nine Wilbert Licensees have earned the 2017 Ultimate Service Provider designation from Wilbert Funeral Services, Inc. (WFSI),…