This One Misconception About Facebook Could Be Losing You Money
We heard it again yesterday. A funeral home owner told us she isn’t too concerned about her home’s inactive Facebook page because it’s mostly young people who use Facebook anyway. Why interact with and market to a demographic who is not interested in her services?
On the contrary, here are the facts concerning the use of Facebook and other social media outlets according to the most recent Pew Research Center Social Media Update:
- Facebook continues to be the most popular social media site. If people use only one social media site, it is usually Facebook.
- Younger adults, and teenagers, are increasingly using other social media outlets like Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, and Twitter while using Facebook less and less.
- Almost 2/3 of online adults ages 50 years or older have Facebook accounts. More than half of adults 65 years and older now use Facebook.
- More females than males engage on Facebook.
- Of users with Facebook accounts, 70% engage with the site on a daily basis.
At DISRUPT Media, we have been monitoring the engagement demographics of our funeral home clients for almost 3 years. We have verified the numbers above. Fully 2/3 of those who interact with our clients’ Facebook pages are women 45 years and older. This is the EXACT demographic group to whom you should be most aggressively marketing! These are the folks who have or will be shopping for and needing your services in the near future.
Dollar for dollar, there is no cheaper form of advertising than paying for Facebook ads. And you have the ability to target specific demographic groups with your boosted posts. It simply does not make sense to ignore the potential sales you could generate with an inexpensive Facebook advertising campaign.
So, if you’ve bought into the false idea that only young people are on Facebook, and that it’s not important to create and maintain an active Facebook presence, you are acting like it’s still 1985. Don’t let your lack of knowledge keep you from the online opportunities out there. Let DISRUPT Media craft a Facebook strategy tailored to your needs using our exclusive four part FUNERAL Social Design Process.
Our process is what enables DISRUPT Media to claim that we are the funeral profession’s only full service social media provider. Our clients who are a part of our FUNERAL Social Design Process are seeing an increase in post reach and engagement of over 300%. Go to http://funeralsocial.com to find out more about the services we offer.