9 Testify in Alleged Funeral Home Scam

November 11, 2009
Advertisement

image Michigan – The former owners of a defunct Livonia funeral home waived their preliminary examinations, but nine people listed as victims in an alleged scam connected to the Canton couple testified in Livonia?s 16th District Court today.

The nine elderly men and women described how they prepaid for their funerals or cremations but in almost all of the cases had received no money from the couple after troubles were exposed at the former Ziomek Funeral Home on Wayne Road. Prosecutors said they wanted to record the testimony of the most medically fragile of the victims in case they would be unable to testify at a later date.

Christopher and Nancy Ziomek, both 54, are accused of stealing approximately $250,000 from as many as 60 families between 1998 and 2007. They are charged with embezzlement and converting money from prepaid funeral contracts to their own use.

Advertisement

District Judge Sean Kavanagh sent the case to Wayne County Circuit Court, where an arraignment is scheduled for Nov. 24. The couple remain free on bond.

The victims all described similar encounters with the Ziomeks. They said they paid fees ranging from hundreds of dollars to more than $14,000 for funeral or cremation services.

Bernard Farrell, who did not provide an age or address, said he and his wife met with Christopher Ziomek in February 2005 to make arrangements for their funerals. He said they paid $13,000.

When Theodore Empson, a Livonia attorney representing Christopher Ziomek, asked Farrell why he did not try to get his money back after learning that the funeral home was having problems, he said there was no point in getting into an argument.

?I thought they was good, sweet people to be honest with you,? Farrell said.

The case against the Ziomeks began in 2007 after a victim contacted investigators. Detective Dean Langley said he discovered that the Ziomeks? registration with the state to sell prepaid funeral services was suspended in 1999.

The prosecutor in the case, Thomas Wenzel, deputy chief of the special victim?s unit at the Wayne County Prosecutor?s Office, said he can only speculate as to what happened to the money the Ziomeks are accused of stealing.

Empson, the attorney, said the decision to waive the examination was made for strategic reasons.

?We are maintaining a position of innocence,? he said.

Source: Freep.com

Photo: Defendants Nancy and Christopher Ziomek appear before Judge Sean Kavanagh today in 16th District Court in Livonia. (PATRICIA BECK/Detroit Free Press)

CDFuneralNews

CDFuneralNews

ConnectingDirectors.com is the leading online daily publication for funeral professionals with a reader base of over 45,000 of the most elite and forward-thinking professionals in the profession. With ConnectingDirectors.com we have created a global community through an online platform allowing funeral professionals to Stay Current. Stay Informed and Stay Elite.
CDFuneralNews
Advertisement

You may be interested

FBI Investigates Funeral Home Running “Remains Dealing” Side-Business
News
7 views
News
7 views

FBI Investigates Funeral Home Running “Remains Dealing” Side-Business

Justin Crowe - January 15, 2018

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is checking into Sunset Mesa Funeral Home in Montrose, CO, where owner Megan Hess is…

MAJOR Facebook News Feed Changes and What They Mean For Your Deathcare Business
Marketing
10 views
Marketing
10 views

MAJOR Facebook News Feed Changes and What They Mean For Your Deathcare Business

Ryan Thogmartin - January 15, 2018

Last week, Facebook made an announcement about MAJOR changes coming to the news feed algorithm. Watch this Facebook Live to learn how…

Five EASY Tips For Your 2018 Marketing and a FREE ___!!! | DISRUPTu! 035
Marketing
33 views
Marketing
33 views

Five EASY Tips For Your 2018 Marketing and a FREE ___!!! | DISRUPTu! 035

CDFuneralNews - January 15, 2018

It’s good to be back! A new year, new goals and new goals to CRUSH! Ryan answers how you use…

Comments