Governor Quinn Receives Final Cemetery Oversight Task Force Report
Governor Pat Quinn accepted the final report of the Cemetery Oversight Task Force, which provided recommendations to ensure rigorous oversight and regulation of Illinois? for-profit cemeteries. Governor Quinn signed an Executive Order earlier this summer forming the task force in the aftermath of the tragedy uncovered at Burr Oak Cemetery in Alsip.
?I want thank the Cemetery Oversight Task Force members for their dedication and hard work. Amid a time of crisis and confusion they came to the aid of our community,? said Governor Pat Quinn. ?I look forward to evaluating their recommendations to protect bereaved Illinois families from corrupt cemeteries, funeral directors and embalmers.?
Chaired by Patricia Brown Holmes, a partner with law firm Schiff Hardin LLP, the task force was charged with bolstering industry regulations and proposing needed consumer protections.
Among the Cemetery Oversight Task Force recommendations:
* Consolidate regulatory authority of funeral and burial practices into the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
* Enact the Cemetery Oversight Act, which will ensure that only qualified persons can own, operate or work in a cemetery in Illinois.
* Amend and consolidate existing statutes to strengthen industry regulation and enforcement.
The Task Force heard testimony from families with loved ones buried at Burr Oak, other cemetery and law enforcement experts, industry professionals, and government officials. Each provided insight into the type of laws, regulations and oversight needed to protect the dignity of loved ones after death.
The Cemetery Oversight Task Force and the ex officio members of the General Assembly who participated in the hearings are a diverse group of individuals with expertise and experience in both the private and public sectors.
To read the full report, please visit Illinois.gov/gov.
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- 49 Wilbert Licensees Earn Ultimate Service Provider for 2017 - February 7, 2018
- Learn and Connect at 2018 NFDA Professional Women’s Conference - February 7, 2018
- Aftercare.com chosen as a Preferred Partner of Selected Independent Funeral Homes - February 7, 2018
You may be interested
49 Wilbert Licensees Earn Ultimate Service Provider for 2017CDFuneralNews - February 7, 2018
BROADVIEW, IL, February 6, 2018 – Forty-nine Wilbert Licensees have earned the 2017 Ultimate Service Provider designation from Wilbert Funeral Services, Inc. (WFSI),…
Learn and Connect at 2018 NFDA Professional Women’s ConferenceCDFuneralNews - February 7, 2018
Brookfield, Wis. – Registration is open for the profession’s leading gathering for women in funeral service: the National Funeral Directors…
Aftercare.com chosen as a Preferred Partner of Selected Independent Funeral HomesCDFuneralNews - February 7, 2018
Clinton, NC - Aftercare.com announced today they have been chosen as a Preferred Partner with Selected Independent Funeral Homes. …