Governor Quinn Receives Final Cemetery Oversight Task Force Report
Governor Pat Quinn accepted the final report of the Cemetery Oversight Task Force, which provided recommendations to ensure rigorous oversight and regulation of Illinois? for-profit cemeteries. Governor Quinn signed an Executive Order earlier this summer forming the task force in the aftermath of the tragedy uncovered at Burr Oak Cemetery in Alsip.
?I want thank the Cemetery Oversight Task Force members for their dedication and hard work. Amid a time of crisis and confusion they came to the aid of our community,? said Governor Pat Quinn. ?I look forward to evaluating their recommendations to protect bereaved Illinois families from corrupt cemeteries, funeral directors and embalmers.?
Chaired by Patricia Brown Holmes, a partner with law firm Schiff Hardin LLP, the task force was charged with bolstering industry regulations and proposing needed consumer protections.
Among the Cemetery Oversight Task Force recommendations:
* Consolidate regulatory authority of funeral and burial practices into the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
* Enact the Cemetery Oversight Act, which will ensure that only qualified persons can own, operate or work in a cemetery in Illinois.
* Amend and consolidate existing statutes to strengthen industry regulation and enforcement.
The Task Force heard testimony from families with loved ones buried at Burr Oak, other cemetery and law enforcement experts, industry professionals, and government officials. Each provided insight into the type of laws, regulations and oversight needed to protect the dignity of loved ones after death.
The Cemetery Oversight Task Force and the ex officio members of the General Assembly who participated in the hearings are a diverse group of individuals with expertise and experience in both the private and public sectors.
To read the full report, please visit Illinois.gov/gov.
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- BEAN TOWN BREAK DOWN | FUNERAL hustle 015 - November 14, 2017
- NFDA Goes Big In Boston - November 14, 2017
- 2017 REFLECTION OF NFDA BOSTON AND A TRIBUTE TO THE VETERANS | FUNERAL nation 094 - November 13, 2017
You may be interested
BEAN TOWN BREAK DOWN | FUNERAL hustle 015CDFuneralNews - November 14, 2017
Ryan is exposed EXPOSED as a terrible (.....) in FUNERAL hustle 015! Part 2 of our Boston NFDA recap we…
NFDA Goes Big In BostonCDFuneralNews - November 14, 2017
Brookfield, Wis. – The National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA) 2017 International Convention & Expo, held October 29 through November 1…
2017 REFLECTION OF NFDA BOSTON AND A TRIBUTE TO THE VETERANS | FUNERAL nation 094CDFuneralNews - November 13, 2017
On this episode, we send a big "thank you" to our very own Funeral Commander, Jeff Harbeson in honor of…