This Is What I Would Tell My Staff
Article originally appeared on Funeral Home Consulting
What happened to social etiquette?
You spend a couple of million dollars on a new building and you let the public be disappointed the moment they enter the door.
I visit a lot of funeral homes and the experience ranges from abysmal to glorious with a whole lot more on the abysmal side than the glorious side. We all know first impressions are everything.
So, here is what I would tell my staff:
- The lobby is not the employee lounge
- Stand when someone enters a room (stand, don’t struggle to get up)
- Look people in the eye
- Greet everyone
- introduce yourself
- ask if you can help them
- say good morning, good afternoon or good evening…not Hey, How ya’ doin’ or some other colloquialism
- offer to shake hands
- For frequent visitors like delivery and mail get to know their names and use them
- Wear your name tag where it can be seen
- Don’t slouch — stand up and sit up straight
- Be warm and approachable
- Offer them a cup of coffee or bottle of water
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- IS FACEBOOK NOW PAY-TO-PLAY? | DISRUPTu! 038 - February 5, 2018
- Homesteaders Recognizes Account Executives for Outstanding Achievement - February 5, 2018
- NFDA Introduces the 2018 Meet the Mentors Program Participants - January 30, 2018
You may be interested
IS FACEBOOK NOW PAY-TO-PLAY? | DISRUPTu! 038CDFuneralNews - February 5, 2018
Are you ready to fight...!? Ready to FIGHT those recent Facebook Newsfeed changes?! You're in luck with this week's brand…
Homesteaders Recognizes Account Executives for Outstanding AchievementCDFuneralNews - February 5, 2018
West Des Moines, Iowa — Homesteaders Life Company, a national leader in pre-need funeral funding, held its national sales meeting and recognition…
We are Building Something Exciting for You… and We Need Your Help!Justin Crowe - January 31, 2018
We want to make your deathcare job easier. Tell us what you want in this 2-minute survey and get entered to win $100! The Connecting Directors and Disrupt Media teams are excited to be planning some new free funeral home marketing content and products for you in 2018 and we want to know what you need most! We want to know your biggest business wins of 2017, the tasks in your day that you hate, and what you feel is holding you back!