25 Suit Hacks That Will Make Any Funeral Director Look Instantly Sexy
1. Learn to spot the telltale signs of an ill-fitting jacket.
If the shoulder has a divot, the coat is too wide; if it forms an X shape when buttoned, it’s too snug.
2. Remember it’s always acceptable to fasten the middle button on either a two- or three-button jacket.
Astrid Stawiarz / Getty Images
Pascal La Segretain / Getty
Fastening the top button is optional with a three-button jacket, but under no circumstance should you fasten the bottom button with either jacket option.
3. Like with a single-breasted suit, don’t fasten the bottom button on a double-breasted suit.
4. In terms of length, the suit jacket should reach the knuckles of your thumb.
5. Pinstripes on a suit should be subtle, unless you are going for the Halloween mobster look.
6. With few exceptions, horizontal stripes are very hard to pull off, so proceed with caution.
7. When sitting, ALWAYS unfasten all the buttons on your jacket.
Leaving it buttoned can ruin the buttons and thread, or even change the shape of the jacket.
8. If you can only have one suit, opt for charcoal.
Black, navy, and gray are good as well, but charcoal is more versatile when combined with different patterns and color options.
9. Your pants should fit comfortably, and you should be able to fit one finger in your waistband.
If the pockets flair out they are too tight, and if they sag to your hips they are too loose.
10. Pants should have one break at the top of the shoe or heel, and your socks should not show while standing…
11. …but if you want a modern look you can have them tailored a little shorter.
It makes the you appear taller and also gives the pants a slimming effect.
12. There are many different types of lapels…
Peaks and wide peaks are a more of a classic look, shawl is more on the casual side.
…but thin lapels with a notch are a more modern/popular look.
13. Vests are a great way to dress up a suit.
The vest should reach your waist, and cover your belt. You can either have it buttoned all the way down, or leave one button undone. In general you want the vest color and/or pattern to match your suit.
14. Your tie should just reach the belt or waistband of your pants, not shorter and certainly not longer.
15. And it should always be darker than your shirt.
16. A tie’s width at its widest point should always match a lapel’s width at its widest point.
17. For a more formal look, go with the Windsor knot when tying a tie.
There are two types of Windsor knots. Learn how to tie them here.
18. A tie bar is a great way to add a personal touch to any suit.
Just make sure it’s not wider than your tie.
19. Cuffs are an important part of your suit, and abouthalf inch should show when standing.
20. Seersucker suits are great for warmer weather, but should only be worn when it’s hot out.
Seersucker suits are popular and fashionable in summer, especially in the South. They are made of a lighter more breathable material, and are great for outdoor functions.
21. Pay attention to the back of your suit.
Single vent and double vent refer to the number of slits in the back of your suit. Single vent is a little more causal and is popular in America, while double vent is more traditional and is associated with British style.
22. When wearing a suit, abstain from a sports watchand opt for a traditional piece with either a metal or leather band.
23. If you choose to go tie-less with a suit, opt for a smaller collar so it doesn’t get stuck under or over the lapel.
24. If you don’t feel like wearing a belt, suspenders are a stylish alternative to keep your pants up.
Suspenders are a great way to add some personal flair to your look. They hold your pants at your natural waistline, and look dapper even without a jacket. For a full guide on suspenders click here.
25. Above all, get your suit tailored!
Many department stores provide tailoring if you buy the suit there, and if you buy a suit off the rack get that tailored as well. It makes a huge difference.
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- IS FACEBOOK NOW PAY-TO-PLAY? | DISRUPTu! 038 - February 5, 2018
- Homesteaders Recognizes Account Executives for Outstanding Achievement - February 5, 2018
- NFDA Introduces the 2018 Meet the Mentors Program Participants - January 30, 2018
You may be interested
IS FACEBOOK NOW PAY-TO-PLAY? | DISRUPTu! 038CDFuneralNews - February 5, 2018
Are you ready to fight...!? Ready to FIGHT those recent Facebook Newsfeed changes?! You're in luck with this week's brand…
Homesteaders Recognizes Account Executives for Outstanding AchievementCDFuneralNews - February 5, 2018
West Des Moines, Iowa — Homesteaders Life Company, a national leader in pre-need funeral funding, held its national sales meeting and recognition…
We are Building Something Exciting for You… and We Need Your Help!Justin Crowe - January 31, 2018
We want to make your deathcare job easier. Tell us what you want in this 2-minute survey and get entered to win $100! The Connecting Directors and Disrupt Media teams are excited to be planning some new free funeral home marketing content and products for you in 2018 and we want to know what you need most! We want to know your biggest business wins of 2017, the tasks in your day that you hate, and what you feel is holding you back!