SCI and Chicago Funeral Directors Headed to Federal Mediation
Funeral industry giant Service Corporation International (NYSE: SCI) has accepted Teamsters Local 727’s offer to enter federal mediation as the union attempts to reach an agreement on a new contract for Chicago-area funeral workers.
“The union is making every effort to avoid a labor dispute, which ultimately would affect the communities and families our funeral members have dedicated their lives to serving,” John Coli Jr., President of Teamsters Local 727.
Mediation is scheduled to begin Oct. 29 at Federal Mediation and Conciliation Services in Hinsdale, Ill.
Teamsters Local 727 representatives have met with the company 11 times since May to negotiate a new contract for 26 funeral directors and drivers at four Alderwoods funeral homes, which SCI owns and operates. The previous three-year contract expired June 30.
In its most recent contract proposal, the company is demanding to:
- Eradicate job security
- Significantly limit authority of the arbitrator in any disciplinary decision
- Dismantle seniority rights
- Eliminate guaranteed employment for full-time drivers
- Retain unilateral ability to slash health care benefits at the company’s discretion
Houston-based SCI operates more than 2,000 funeral homes and cemeteries in North America, many of which still bear the names of families that independently owned them for generations. SCI is a publicly traded company valued at nearly $5 billion.
Teamsters Local 727 represents more than 7,000 hardworking men and women, including about 500 funeral industry workers, in theGreater Chicago area.
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- ASD’s Suicide Telephone Operator Patch (S.T.O.P) System Recognized With 2017 NFDA Innovation Award - November 15, 2017
- Passare Releases Advanced Preneed Integration with Funeral Directors Life - November 15, 2017
- Marching Forward, Making Sales at the 2018 ICCFA Wide World of Sales Conference - November 15, 2017
You may be interested
4 Products Beating the Funeral Merchandise Quality EpidemicJustin Crowe - November 15, 2017
Since entering the funeral industry, I have felt a taboo around talking about the topic of quality in relation to…
ASD’s Suicide Telephone Operator Patch (S.T.O.P) System Recognized With 2017 NFDA Innovation AwardCDFuneralNews - November 15, 2017
Boston, MA—On Monday, October 29, ASD – Answering Service for Directors was named the winner of the National Funeral Directors…
Passare Releases Advanced Preneed Integration with Funeral Directors LifeCDFuneralNews - November 15, 2017
Passare, Inc. recently released an advanced integration with Funeral Directors Life Insurance Company, offering the funeral industry’s only integration between…