Funeral home sues Archdiocese of Los Angeles for $250 million over cemetery leases

October 1, 2014
Advertisement

LOS ANGELES –  A funeral home company has sued the Archdiocese of Los Angeles for at least $250 million, alleging it was cheated out of a lease deal involving six Roman Catholic cemeteries.

S.E. Funeral Homes of California Inc. alleges breach of contract, bad faith and unjust enrichment in the suit filed Monday in Superior Court.

But the archdiocese said Tuesday that it’s in the right.

The lawsuit said the archdiocese agreed in 1997 to allow S.E. Funeral Homes to lease land on or near six cemeteries to operate funeral service businesses for 40 years.

Advertisement

The company said it spent about $37 million to build funeral homes, offices, flower shops, chapels, mausoleums and other features at All Souls Cemetery in Long Beach; Calvary Catholic Cemetery in East Los Angeles; Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City; Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Rowland Heights; San Fernando Mission Cemetery in Mission Hills; and Santa Clara Cemetery in Oxnard.

The company said it pre-sold about $190 million worth of services and expected to receive the money in future years.

However, on Sept. 5 the archdiocese notified the company that it intended to end the leases on Oct. 3, the suit said.

The lawsuit said the company was notified that it had breached the leases because it didn’t seek permission from the archdiocese before the funeral home’s corporate owner, Stewart Enterprises Inc., agreed to a reverse merger with a subsidiary of Service Corp. International.

The lawsuit contended that the company didn’t need such permission and alleged that the archdiocese is making a trumped-up allegation in order to seize the company’s lucrative business.

However, the leases “specifically prohibit their transfer or entrustment of operations without the prior written consent of the archdiocese,” Monica Valencia, spokeswoman for the archdiocese, said in a statement.

Cemetery services won’t be interrupted by the legal dispute, the statement said.

[H/T: Fox News]

CDFuneralNews

CDFuneralNews

ConnectingDirectors.com is the leading online daily publication for funeral professionals with a reader base of over 45,000 of the most elite and forward-thinking professionals in the profession. With ConnectingDirectors.com we have created a global community through an online platform allowing funeral professionals to Stay Current. Stay Informed and Stay Elite.
CDFuneralNews
Advertisement

You may be interested

How You’re Losing Over 90% of Your Potential Customers
Cremation
13 views
Cremation
13 views

How You’re Losing Over 90% of Your Potential Customers

Tyler Yamasaki - September 19, 2017

This is the first part of an ongoing instructional series to help your funeral home thrive online. Tyler Yamasaki of…

2 Business Visionaries Explain How to Sell Memorial Products
Cremation
272 views
Cremation
272 views

2 Business Visionaries Explain How to Sell Memorial Products

Justin Crowe - September 18, 2017

Last week, I got an unbelievable opportunity to speak with two modern business thought leaders about selling memorial products -…

NFDA Congratulates 2017 Best of the Best Award Recipients
Funeral Industry Press Releases
42 views
Funeral Industry Press Releases
42 views

NFDA Congratulates 2017 Best of the Best Award Recipients

CDFuneralNews - September 18, 2017

Brookfield, Wis. – The National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA) is pleased to announce that the following funeral homes have earned…

Comments