Read The Humorous Eulogy Melissa Rivers Gave At Joan Rivers’ Funeral
It may have been a sad day, but Joan Rivers’ star-studded funeral last week was also full of laughs thanks to a raunchy eulogy by Howard Stern and a light-hearted letter from daughter, Melissa Rivers.
Melissa read an excerpt from “A Letter to My Mom,” a book that will be published in April. In the letter, the 46-year-old “landlord” scolds her 81-year-old mother/tenant for too much partying and corrupting her 13-year-old son, Cooper.
In recent years, Joan had been staying in a small guest room in Melissa’s L.A. home where she stayed for the one day a week she flew in from New York to tape E!’s “Fashion Police.”
The bi-coastal relationship was the subject line of the mother-daughter duo’s WE tv reality show, “Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?”
Read Melissa’s letter, first published on The Hollywood Reporter, below:
I received the note that you slipped under my bedroom door last night. I was very excited to read it, thinking that it would contain amazing, loving advice that you wanted to share with me. Imagine my surprise when I opened it and saw that it began with the salutation, “Dear Landlord.” I have reviewed your complaints and address them below:
1. While I appreciate your desire to “upgrade” your accommodations to a larger space, I cannot, in good conscience, move [my 13-year-old son] Cooper into the laundry room. I do agree that it will teach him a life lesson about fluffing and folding, but since I don’t foresee him having a future in dry cleaning, I must say no.
Also, I know you are a true creative genius (and I am in awe of the depth of your instincts), but breaking down a wall without my permission is not an appropriate way to express that creativity. It is not only a boundary violation but a building-code violation as well. Additionally, the repairman can’t get here until next week, so your expansion plan will have to be put on hold.
2. Re: Your fellow “tenant” (your word), Cooper. While I trust you with him, it is not OK for you to undermine my rules. It is not OK that you let him have chips and ice cream for dinner. It is not OK that you let him skip school to go to the movies. And it is really not OK that the movie was Last Tango in Paris.
As for your taking his friends to a “gentlemen’s club,” I accepted your rationale that it was an educational experience for the boys — and you are right, he is the most popular kid in school right now — but I’d prefer he not learn biology from those “gentlemen” and their ladies, Bambi, Trixie and Kitten. And just because I yelled at you, I do not appreciate your claim that I have created a hostile living environment.
3. While I’m glad to see you’re socializing, you must refill the hot tub after your parties. In fact, you need to tone down the parties altogether. Imagine my surprise when I saw the photos you posted on Facebook of your friends frolicking topless in the hot tub.
I think it’s great that you’re entertaining more often, but I can’t keep fielding complaints from the neighbors about your noisy party games like Ring Around the Walker or naked Duck, Duck Caregiver.
I’m more than happy to have you use the house for social gatherings, but you cannot rent it out, advertise as “party central” or hand out T-shirts that say “F— Jimmy Buffett.”
In closing, I hope I have satisfactorily answered your complaints and queries. I love having you live with me, and I am grateful for every minute Cooper and I have with you. You are an inspiration. You are also 30 days late with the rent.
The mother and daughter had a famously close relationship.
Read more from Business Insider: http://www.businessinsider.com/melissa-rivers-eulogy-at-joan-rivers-funeral-2014-9#ixzz3DQjgldUZ
Photo Credit: Taylor Hill/Getty Images
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- Homesteaders Policy Owners Elect Three New Members to Board of Directors - February 20, 2018
- Vandor Corporation Introduces One Source Prime to Reduce Funeral Product Prices - February 20, 2018
- Cremation Innovations Summit to be Held in Las Vegas - February 18, 2018
You may be interested
This Is The Game Every Funeral Director Wants, But It’s Not RealRyan Thogmartin - February 21, 2018
Cadaver Chris needs your help! His viewing is tomorrow! It's Embalmer, the funtacular funeral game where you're the embalmer! From the gurney to the grave, it's Embalmer! Embalming fluid not included.
Funeral Director Takes Kermit the Therapy Dog to Meet Florida Shooting SurvivorsJustin Crowe - February 20, 2018
Last week, the survivors, first responders, and volunteers of the tragic Florida school shooting got a surprise visit from a…
Homesteaders Policy Owners Elect Three New Members to Board of DirectorsCDFuneralNews - February 20, 2018
West Des Moines, Iowa — Homesteaders Life Company Chairman Stephen R. Lang announced today the election of three new members…