FTC: How to Comply with the Funeral Rule
On Wednesday the FTC published the below information and video to help define what a “funeral business” is and how to comply with the funeral rule.
The Funeral Rule establishes some basic requirements that apply to all funeral providers. Who’s considered a funeral provider? Any business that sells funeral goods and funeral services to the public, including funeral directors, funeral homes, cemeteries, and crematories, among other businesses.
One key provision requires those covered by the Rule to give potential clients a written price list of the goods and services their business provides. The Rule also spells out some practices that are not allowed. For example, it is not permitted to:
- require a client to buy a “package” of goods and services that includes items they don’t want.
- say the law requires a client to buy a particular item or service if it isn’t true.
- refuse to handle, or charge a fee for handling, a casket or urn a client bought somewhere else.
Each violation of the Rule is subject to a penalty of up to $16,000, so it pays to learn what compliance entails. Watch the video for more details.
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- Working Your Way Up From The Bottom with Death Care Marketing Mogul, Ryan Thogmartin of Disrupt Media Part 2 - September 21, 2017
- Water Cremation (Alkaline hydrolysis) Coming to California - September 21, 2017
- Platinum Celebration Services Announces the Launch of the Platinum Standard Network - September 20, 2017
You may be interested
Working Your Way Up From The Bottom with Death Care Marketing Mogul, Ryan Thogmartin of Disrupt Media Part 2CDFuneralNews - September 21, 2017
Many of my followers and friends have asked how I got into the death care space. Now is the time…
Water Cremation (Alkaline hydrolysis) Coming to CaliforniaCDFuneralNews - September 21, 2017
This past weekend California Congress voted overwhelmingly to authorize water cremation in the State. California’s Water Cremation Bill was authored…
Platinum Celebration Services Announces the Launch of the Platinum Standard NetworkCDFuneralNews - September 20, 2017
AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 6, 2017 - Platinum Celebration Services (PCS) today announced the launch of the Platinum Standard Network (PSN), a roll-up acquisition…