The Six R’s of Grief Work
Guest article contributed by: Caleb Wilde, CalebWilde.com
There’s a number of different grief models that have been proposed by various psychologists. Some are good, some … not so much.
I’ve always advised that it’s dangerous to see grief work as linear. Grief rarely works in a stage-by-stage process. Rather, it’s usually cyclical. We feel and think (x) for one week; the next week we feel and think (y); and then the next week we feel and think (x) again. And we go in these cycles for years, maybe decades, maybe the rest of our lives.
The following model of grief work — developed by Therese Rando – proposes linear stages of grief work … something that I don’t like. Nevertheless, I think it can still be helpful to see these “Six R’s” and find a way we can relate to them:
This description of Rondo’s “Six R’s” is written by Kathryn Patricelli
- Recognize the loss: First, people must experience their loss and understand that it has happened.
- React: People react emotionally to their loss.
- Recollect and Re-Experience: People may review memories of their lost relationship (events that occurred, places visited together, or day to day moments that were experienced together).
- Relinquish: People begin to put their loss behind them, realizing and accepting that the world has truly changed and that there is no turning back.
- Readjust: People begin the process of returning to daily life and the loss starts to feel less acute and sharp.
- Reinvest: Ultimately, people re-enter the world, forming new relationships and commitments. They accept the changes that have occurred and move past them.
Latest posts by Caleb Wilde (see all)
- When Embalming is Beautiful - July 23, 2014
- Do Funeral Homes Charge too Much? 10 Thoughts on the Cost of Funerals - June 18, 2014
- Funeral Director Offers Thoughts on HATE / LIKE Relationship with Corporate Run Funeral Homes - June 10, 2014
You may be interested
10 Visionary Death Care Entrepreneurs Revolutionizing How We DieJustin Crowe - June 20, 2018
Looking at the business that these 10 death care entrepreneurs have created, there is an overwhelming sense of certainty that…
Mean Internet Comments – Funeral EditionCDFuneralNews - June 20, 2018
We shine a light on some of the harsh words posted on social media towards DISRUPT Media's CEO, Ryan Thogmartin.…
FTC Releases Results of Undercover Funeral Rule Investigation… 4 Regions BombedJustin Crowe - June 18, 2018
The FTC has released its report detailing the results of its undercover Funeral Rule investigation for 2017. Last year, the…