Man Suing Over Wrong Body in Casket
NEW YORK — A man alleges in a lawsuit a New York funeral home mistakenly sent a different body to the Dominican Republic instead of his mother’s remains.
The son of Ana Belen Fernandez is suing the R.G. Ortiz Funeral Home for allegedly sending the body of Demetio De Leon to the Dominican Republic with paperwork incorrectly identifying him as Fernandez, the New York Post said Monday.
Attorney Mitchell Shapiro, who is representing Fernandez’s son, said the suit is the result of the family’s “shock of opening the casket and seeing this old guy there when they expected to see mom.”
After the July 26 incident, Fernandez’s body was later found in Florida and was promptly shipped to the Dominican Republic for burial, the report said.
“By then, the body had begun to decompose,” the family alleges in the suit.
The funeral home did not offer a comment on the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages.
Latest posts by CDFuneralNews (see all)
- Five EASY Tips For Your 2018 Marketing and a FREE ___!!! | DISRUPTu! 035 - January 15, 2018
- How to Keep Families Engaged on your Website - January 15, 2018
- 5 Ways to Build Your Business - January 12, 2018
You may be interested
FBI Investigates Funeral Home Running “Remains Dealing” Side-BusinessJustin Crowe - January 15, 2018
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is checking into Sunset Mesa Funeral Home in Montrose, CO, where owner Megan Hess is…
MAJOR Facebook News Feed Changes and What They Mean For Your Deathcare BusinessRyan Thogmartin - January 15, 2018
Last week, Facebook made an announcement about MAJOR changes coming to the news feed algorithm. Watch this Facebook Live to learn how…
Five EASY Tips For Your 2018 Marketing and a FREE ___!!! | DISRUPTu! 035CDFuneralNews - January 15, 2018
It’s good to be back! A new year, new goals and new goals to CRUSH! Ryan answers how you use…